
Today, while studying our Sunday School lesson, I was caught by a particular scripture. It was from Alma 15:6. The phrase "his soul began to be harrowed up under a consciousness of his own guilt". I wondered why the word harrowed. Then it brought to mind the time when Alma wrote about his rebellion and was "racked with torment while....harrowed up by the memory of his many sins". Now, being raised with a dad that farmed, I know a little about what a harrow is. I thought about this quite a bit. I thought about the tool that my dad used to harrow his ground. It always seemed more like a torture tool than anything else. A harrow is used after the ground is plowed. It digs deep into the soil and brings up the better, more fertile soil, so that the seeds can be sown into this richer soil. It also breaks up the hardened clumps that are left after plowing.
So, now where am I going with this? It just occured to me what a choice word "harrow" was when referring to sin. Having your soul harrowed. The long thin spikes of the harrow would no doubt hurt if you were to actually experience them going over you. It would rake you to the very bone. When we sin, and then realize what we have done, how hurtful we have been, we should have this same bone shaking remorse. Our soul should be harrowed. But in digging deep and piercing the very soul, it also can bring about the better soil, the person we know that we can be when we forsake our sins. It allows the seed to be received in a better person. One who is willing to cultivate it, care for it, and let it grow. Both Alma and Zeezrom, whom used this word harrow, turned to be great men. They broke up their hardened selves and chose the better way.
I also found this quote by Neal A Maxwell: "How vital such divine discontent can be, especially for 'hearts set so much upon the things of this world'. Such hearts must often be pierced, even broken, before a new heart can function." How this spoke to me! I know that sin causes anguish of the soul. But I had never before realized that when your soul is harrowed, and you truly repent, it is a way for the Lord to plant seeds of truth into your soul. A way for Him to touch you so deeply that you never want to return to that sin again! How beautiful!
I have also thought lately about how numerous times the scriptures refer to farming. The parable of the sower, the wheat and the tares, souls being harrowed, plowing hope, etc. There are so many references. Maybe that is because every year those who sow, reap the harvest. Maybe our father is teaching us that it is never the end for us... There is always next year's harvest. Always a chance to repent and get it right. Again and again.
I also found a great farming example in a talk by Robert D. Hales. He talks about creative thinking, but I think this can apply to all thoughts and actions in our life. He suggests:
1. Prepare the soil.
Start with prayer to clear your mind and set the proper atmosphere. Research the problem thoroughly. Develop a positive attitude that a solution can be found. Establish an atmosphere of trust in yourself and in others.
2. Plant the seeds.
Investigate what you can do to help. Determine where you may need help. Ask for counsel when you are ready to act on the advice given to you, but don’t ask someone else to make the decision for you.
3. Let the seeds grow.
Don’t uproot your idea before it has a chance to grow. Back off and give the idea time to develop. But you must be willing to face failure with a willingness to try again.
4. Examine your crops.
Weed out ideas that don’t belong. Through obedience to the Lord, you are entitled to inspiration. Review D&C 9:7–9. Inspiration comes when we ask if we have made a correct decision.
5. Harvest.
The most productive farmers in the world would be unsuccessful if they didn’t harvest their crops. Do something about your ideas. Take the initiative to share your thoughts with others and to take action on your own.
Start with prayer to clear your mind and set the proper atmosphere. Research the problem thoroughly. Develop a positive attitude that a solution can be found. Establish an atmosphere of trust in yourself and in others.
2. Plant the seeds.
Investigate what you can do to help. Determine where you may need help. Ask for counsel when you are ready to act on the advice given to you, but don’t ask someone else to make the decision for you.
3. Let the seeds grow.
Don’t uproot your idea before it has a chance to grow. Back off and give the idea time to develop. But you must be willing to face failure with a willingness to try again.
4. Examine your crops.
Weed out ideas that don’t belong. Through obedience to the Lord, you are entitled to inspiration. Review D&C 9:7–9. Inspiration comes when we ask if we have made a correct decision.
5. Harvest.
The most productive farmers in the world would be unsuccessful if they didn’t harvest their crops. Do something about your ideas. Take the initiative to share your thoughts with others and to take action on your own.
What a fruitful and abundant morning I have had. I am grateful for these ideas. I know that these aren't new insights. But sometimes I think we have to have that aha moment when it all comes together. I am grateful for mornings like this!
1 comment:
Wow. These are great insights.
Suzee, you are sooo smart.
Post a Comment