Saturday, June 26, 2010

Strength

On June 14, I was diagnosed as having a stroke. Thirty six years old and I had a stroke! How strange. After 4 long, awful weeks of headaches, I think John and I were prepared for just about anything, but when we were told a stroke, it just about blew us away. I spent a week in the hospital making sure the swelling didn't reach my brain stem. Luckily, it didn't and I was able to come home. There have been many blessings in this whole process. MANY blessings. However, that is a long post and probably for another day when I can type better. The things that the stroke affected were: my balance, my short-term memory, and my fine motor skills. Some days my balance is better, some days it isn't. Some days I do really well in talking, some days I have to really concentrate on what I want to say in order to make sense. I haven't tried to sew yet, but typing and texting are skills that I am working on.
It is a frustrating process. A very slow process. Some days I do better than others. But each and every day I am reminded how lucky I am. I could be learning how to walk again, or to eat again, or to talk again. I could not know my family, my kids, myself. I came away from this relatively unscathed.....well, other than scared a little bit :)
I have incredible kids who are a major help to me. My family, who have been wonderful and, of course, John, who is my rock. But, I also find strength in strange ways. The other day, I was reminded of a talk given by Richard G. Scott. In it he said: "Fourteen years ago the Lord took my wife beyond the veil. I love her with all my heart, but I never have complained because I know it was His will. I have never asked why, but rather what is it that He wants me to learn from this experience." I know that many people think that they know what THEY think I need to learn, but I am trying to understand what it is my Father wants me to learn.
I also went to Toy Story 3 with the kids the other day. When Andy was cleaning out his room, the army guys say something like: "Let's face it, when the garbage bags come out, us army guys are the first ones to go." I thought, too often, I don't give value to the little things. So now, I have a plastic army guy sitting on my night stand, reminding me to look for the value in even the small things and not to hastily throw anything away.
Silly, I know, but sometimes, changes need to come. Hopefully, with each new day, I will get stronger and be able to do more for myself and my family. I am grateful for the people who are helping me until I am able to help myself. I have been blessed with angels!

post signature

2 comments:

jed and leslie said...

Hey Suzee, I hope things will get a little easier each day, thanks for reminding me what really matters. I would like to help with your laundry for a while until you are feeling stronger. Please let me know when I can pick some up. Love ya, Leslie

Cammee said...

I hope you know how much I love you and appreciate you! YOU know what is best for you and for your family. You are an amazing mom and wife, you are always busy and involved. Sure, some of that might have to change, but you are very intelligent, you'll know what you need to do. I'm grateful you have children who help you and watch after each other, and a husband that does the same. Once again, I am here for ANYTHING, i repeat, ANYTHING you might need. Love you!